Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My kingdom has been secured.

So, yesterday Steve and I went to the doctor. Everything is OK at the moment (no need to worry) but he asked us how long we'd been together. I realized we've been together 15 years, of which we've been married for 13 of them. (Ask Steve, he'll say we've been married for 30 years at least...)

Anyways, on the way out, the doctor put his arm around Steve and said "Don't worry. Your kingdom in heaven has been secured - you picked a good guy."

Whoa. That was the most LDS thing I've heard, right next to "I'd like to turn the time over to..."

Now, we're not LDS. My mom pulled me out of the church when I was 7, but I continued to go off and on as a teenager, and my grandparents on both sides were LDS. (Yes, Grandpa B. was LDS, despite the fact he owned a bar, cussed up a storm, drank and smoked up until 10 years before his death. However, the offset to this is that he was a very knowledgeable man with great advice, he demanded respect with his presence, and I miss him.) My parents were also sealed in the LDS temple when I was 5 or 6. I understand that the LDS believe that the husband is to secure the wife's place in heaven, and they're married for all eternity.

My husband, on the other hand, was raised Catholic. He's read the book of Mormon and has his own understanding of the LDS religion. But, most of our recent discussions about the LDS religion and their beliefs usually take place after watching Big Love. We both know that this show doesn't correspond with what the LDS church currently teaches, but it's still funny to us since we live in the middle of the "Zion Bubble" yet we aren't LDS. For me, it's being an outsider watching the outsiders from the far extreme of where we sit, while in the middle is the LDS culture.

So, after the doctor leaves, Steve and I both look at each other and laugh a little. It was the most LDS thing someone has ever said to me. And that's pretty good since I live here in Utah.

No comments: